|Parent's Guide To Middle School Sports |
Haverford Middle School
A Guide for Parents
2014 - 2015
Daniel J Horan Beth Mastrocola William Booth
The dates and location of our athletic events are marked on our monthly calendar. Please ask your child for this publication.
Bala Middle School
Montgomery Ave. to Meetinghouse Rd.; left to Bryn Mawr Ave.; left to Middle School
Directions: From Haverford Middle School - left on Darby Rd. (becomes Lansdowne Ave.) Continue down on Lansdowne Ave. to Garrett Rd. (Community Y on corner) turn left - continue to Sherbrooke Blvd. Turn right school is on the corner. Use first turn past parking lot. All sporting events are at Beverly Hills Middle School except baseball and soccer.
Baseball and Soccer -Marshall Road fields - Stay on Sherbrooke Blvd. until dead end at Marshall Road. Turn right on Marshall Road, road bends to right at second light. Field is on right side after curve.
Route 476 N. to Exit 18B; West on Ridge Pike to Belvoir Rd.; right to school
Directions: Darby Rd. (becomes Lansdowne Ave.) continue down to State Rd., turn right-school is on right about 1 mile. All sporting events are at Drexel Hill Middle School. Fields are behind school.
E. T.Richardson Middle School
Directions: Left on Darby Road. Turn right onto Township Line Road to Route 320. Turn left on Route 320 and then turn left on Route 420 (Woodland Avenue - Value City). School is on right about four miles. All sporting events are at E.T. Richardson Middle School, except for Track, which is at the high school. Make left on road that dead ends into entrance to middle school. This road will dead-end into high school.
Directions: Route 1 By-Pass to Route 322 (Conchester Rd.) turn left - at 2nd road (Station Rd.) turn right, follow to Smithbridge Rd. and turn right. School is on right hand side. All sporting events are at Garnet Valley Middle School, except track, which is at the high school.
Route 3 to Route 252N; right to Route 30W; left to route 401W; cross under Route 202, past 1st blinking light, right to school.
Directions: Take Baltimore Pike past Granite Run Mall. Make a left at Rte. 452. Stay on Rte. 452 until you reach a five-point intersection (Island in middle five points' stay to left). Turn left onto Concord Road and continue on Concord Road for about three miles. School is on the right. Sun Valley High School is on left. Field is behind the school. All outside sporting events are on fields shared by middle school and Sun Valley High School. Volleyball, basketball and wrestling are in middle school.
Directions: West Chester Pike turn left onto Lawrence Rd., make a right on Rte. 320. First traffic light turn left onto Paxon Hollow Rd. School is on left about 1 mile down. All sporting events are at Paxon Hollow Middle School, except for track, which is at Marple Newtown High School.
(West Chester Pike to Media Line Rd., past Marple Ford; left on Media Line Rd. for about 3/4 mile; school is on right).
Ridley Middle School
Directions: Township Line to route 320. Turn left and proceed to Route 420. Turn left on Route 420 and cross Baltimore Pike. Continue on Route 420 about one mile and cross railroad tracks. Turn right and bear left (Morton Avenue) to Ridley High School. Pass high school (road becomes Swarthmore Avenue), cross MacDade Boulevard and railroad tracks and continue to second street past the tracks (DuPont Avenue). Turn right and follow to Free Avenue. School is on left. All sporting events are at Ridley Middle School
Directions: Darby Rd. to Township Line Rd. turn right continue on "Media By Pass" to Route 252, turn right on Route 252 continue past traffic light to fork in road. Turn left and school is about 1/2 mile on the left side. All sporting events are at Springton Lake Middle School.
Directions: Darby Rd. to Township Line Rd. turn right, continue out "Media By Pass" to
Route 252 left on Rte. 252 continue about 4 miles - school sits on the right side of the highway. You'll see overhead crosswalk across Providence Rd.
Take Eagle road (Wynnewood Road) past Lancaster Ave. to first light. This is Penn Road. Make a left turn. Go to Montgomery Ave. and make a right turn. At Bryn Mawr Ave. make a left turn. At Old Gulf Road make a left turn. Stay on Old Gulf Road until you can bear right onto Hagy's Ford Road. Go past Penn Valley Elementary School and Welsh Valley Middle School is on the left.
We expect all Haverford Middle School athletes to maintain a high level of performance. Violations of the training rules listed below can hinder an athlete from functioning at that level. Therefore, the following rules will apply to all teams at Haverford Middle School:
1. Smoking: The athletic department recognizes that smoking is harmful to the individual, especially to an athlete. Smoking may cause that shortness of breath or the loss of a step of speed necessary to win a game. Smoking will not be tolerated on any team. Failure to abide by the No Smoking rule during a participant's sporting season will result in the individual's dismissal from the team for the remainder of that season.
2. Drinking: The drinking of any alcoholic beverage is strictly prohibited. Violation of this rule will result in the individual's dismissal from the team.
3. Drugs: (including marijuana) The taking of or the selling of any illegal or controlled drug will not be tolerated. The violator of this rule will be dismissed from the team. (The exception to this rule would be medication prescribed by a physician.)
4. Unexcused absences from practice or a game: It is the responsibility of the player to be at practice and games. The coach will set the standards for his/her team. Failure to meet the standards set by the coach will result in the dismissal of the individual from the team.
5. General Conduct: Athletes who represent the Haverford Township School District will conduct themselves in a manner that exemplifies the attributes and qualities of a Haverford student. Misconduct, in addition to the above rules, could also result in the dismissal of an individual from a team. Misconduct would be weighed by the coach and discussed with the athletic director or administration before a final decision is reached.
6. Attendance: Students who are not in attendance in school by 12:00 noon on the day of a contest may not participate in the activity that day.
Parent or Guardian
Dear Haverford Middle School Families,
A student is considered to be ineligible if he or she is failing at least one course. That student athlete may also be expected to attend one of HMS' support services for academic remediation or assistance. The athlete may not participate in their respective activity until his or her eligibility is restored - no failures.
Eligibility is measured each Friday by the athletics' department. Ineligible students will be informed by their HR teacher and their respective coach and will not participate in their respective activity beginning that following Monday through to the next Friday. A student is considered ineligible when he or she has passing grades in each of his or her assigned courses.
HMS has been the recipient of the League Citizenship award many times. Our students are expected to model this behavior on and off the field and in our middle school. Student ineligibility for citizenship purposes results when that student has violated rules outlined in the HMS student handbook, the athletics' handbook, and/or the grade level principal recommends that student to be ineligible as a result of citizenship expectations by our student athletes. Two points in a given week will result in that student being ineligible from their respective sport. Examples include: suspension, multiple detentions, poor conduct on the field (or court etc.) and/or principal request.
2. A player returning from a long absence or injury is required to practice for one (1) week before being allowed to play.
3. Parents taking their child home from a game site or practice site must give the coach a note stating that they are taking their child home. Coaches must be informed if a player leaves early.
2. A Haverford Middle School player shall not enter a game wearing undergarments or tights that extend below the uniform bottoms.
3. On cold days, and with the coach's permission, a player may wear an undershirt, provided that it is plain and of the same solid color as the uniform top.
Go to Digital Sports
Under Find Your School enter Haverford Middle School as the school name, and click on the button labeled Seek!
On the gray navigation bar select Email Alerts
Complete and confirm your email address Click Next
Select the team you which to receive alerts about. Click the > arrow to move the team to the right hand column. Continue moving teams to the right column until you have chosen all the teams for which you would like to receive an alert.
Select Please Save My Account Settings
If you have more than one email, repeat Sign me up for email!! for each additional address.
Going forward, you will be notified via email for each sport registered.